Roche Genetics Education Program v6.0.0 Readme
2. Installing the Flash 7 player
3. Running the program from the CD
4. Installing the program to your hard drive
7. Contact Roche
Welcome to the Roche Genetics Education Program.
This document is designed to help you get the most out the program, guiding you through the essentials such as installing the Macromedia Flash 7 player, how to run the program directly from the CD and how to install the program on your hard drive for improved performance.
Back to top
Installation of the Flash 7 player will normally begin
the first time the program is started, if the program detects that a Flash player is not installed. In this case, simply follow the on-screen instructions
to install the player.
In some cases, the detection process may fail to detect the presence of the Flash player correctly and this may cause the program to halt, displaying a black window. In this case, the Flash 7 player should be installed using the installers supplied on the CD as follows:
Installing the Flash 7 Player on a PC
To install Macromedia Flash Player 7 for Internet Explorer or AOL (ActiveX Control) on Windows:
This file installs Flash Player 7 for Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP within Microsoft
Internet Explorer and AOL. This player is also known as the ActiveX control.
1. Click this link "Install Flash Player 7 AX.exe" to begin installation.
2. Select either "Run"or "Open" - depending on the message displayed on your PC and follow the on screen instructions.
To install Macromedia Flash Player 7 for Netscape, CompuServe, or Opera on Windows:
This file installs Flash Player 7 for Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
within Netscape Navigator, CompuServe, and Opera. This player is also known
as the plug-in.
1. Click this link "Install
Flash Player 7.exe" to begin installation and follow the
on screen instructions.
Installing the Flash 7 Player on a MacIntosh
To install Macromedia Flash Player 7 for Netscape, Internet Explorer for
Macintosh, or Opera on Macintosh:
1. Quit your browser before installing the new plug-in.
Click this link "Flash Player 7 Installer" to install Flash Player 7 for Macintosh Power PC (OS 8.6 or later) within Netscape Navigator, Microsoft Internet Explorer for Macintosh, and Opera. This player is also known as the plug-in.
Click this link "Flash Player 7 Installer OSX" to install Flash Player 7 for Macintosh OS X (OS 10.1 or later) within Netscape Navigator, Microsoft Internet Explorer for Macintosh, and Opera. This player is also known as the plug-in.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
4. Flash Player 7 should be installed and working. To verify on Netscape, choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser's menu.
Back to top
The CD is designed to run automatically when inserted
into the CD drive of a PC, providing that the 'Autorun' feature
is enabled on the machine.
In the event that the progam does not start, follow the instructions below to start the program manually.
Starting the program on a PC, manually
1. Start Windows Explorer and double-click on the file "Start.exe" located in the root of the CD.
Starting the program on a MacIntosh, manually
1. Locate the Genetics CD icon on the desktop, and double-click it to display its contents.
2. Double-click on the file "Start Roche Genetics".
Back to top
Improved performance may be gained by installing the program to your hard drive. You may wish to do this if you have a slow CD drive which is affecting the smoothness of the audio and animations or you are experiencing delays when you click the mouse. The following instructions guide you through the process for both PC and MacIntosh.
Installing the program on a PC
1. Insert the CD in the drive. If 'Autorun' is enabled, the program will start.
2. Quit the program.
3. Start Windows Explorer and double-click on the file "InstallXXX.exe" located in the root of the CD, where XXX is the language version you wish to install.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
5. To start the program, click the "Start" button on the desktop.
6. Open the "Programs" folder
7. Open the "Genetics Education Program Browser" folder.
8. Select the "Run" item.
Installing the program on a MacIntosh
1. Insert the CD in the drive.
2. Create a new folder on the desktop.
3. Locate the Genetics CD icon on the desktop, and double-click it to display its contents.
4. Drag the folders "XXX" and "Common" to the new folder on the desktop, where XXX is the language version you wish to install.
5. Drag the file "Start Roche Genetics" to the new folder on the desktop.
6. Drag the file "XXX.html" to the new folder on the desktop, where XXX is the language version you wish to install.
7. To start the program, double-click the file "Start Roche Genetics" in the new folder on the desktop. If this does not work double-click the file "xxx.html" in the new folder on the desktop where XXX is the language version you wish to install.
Back to top
If you experience problems using the program try closing down all open applications then restart the Roche Genetics Education Program.
Pop-Up-Ads prevention programs will not allow the Program to run. If you have such a program installed you may want to inactivate it temporarily.
Users running Windows XP Service Pack 2 may find that messages are displayed relating to active content and popups. These users may wish to amend their security settings before running the Roche Genetics Education Program to stop these messages being displayed.
This program requires that Macromedia Flash 7 Player or above be installed and active in your browser.
Click the link below, to check the specific version
of the Macromedia Flash Player currently installed and active in your browser.
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/test_version.htm you should be using Version 7.
If the Macromedia Flash Player installers supplied with this CD fail to install the player of your choice, click the link below to download the latest version of the Macromedia Flash Player: http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer
"The program cannot be installed because
files cannot be copied to your hard drive."
This message is displayed if the installer cannot copy the program files to your hard drive. This may happen if you are trying to install the program onto a workstation where you do not have the authority to do so. In this case, ask your System Administrator for advice.
Back to top
Your use of the information contained herein is subject to the following terms
and conditions and
applicable laws. By using this software and the information contained herein, you accept, without
limitation or qualification, these terms and conditions and acknowledge that they supersede any
other agreement between you and Roche.
This software provides selected information about genetics. This software is provided as a
convenience to the user. Like any printed material, it may become out-of-date over time. Roche has
made a reasonable effort to include accurate information in this software. However, Roche makes no
warranties or representations, express or implied, as to the accuracy or completeness of the
information contained or referenced herein. This software and its content is provided "AS IS"
WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied
warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you.
All users agree that use of this software and the content contained herein is at their own risk. Neither
Roche nor any other party involved in creating, producing or delivering this software shall be liable in
any manner whatsoever for any direct, incidental, consequential, indirect or punitive damages (even if
Roche has been advised of the possibility of such damages) arising out of your use or inability to use
this software or any errors, omissions or out-of-date information appearing herein.
All information and images contained in this software are copyright protected and otherwise
proprietary. No use of this information is permitted without the prior written consent of Roche.
Back to top
Back to top